Tuesday, May 10, 2011

marianne, do you remember?

Phew. I have been tirelessly slaving away in the precious hours between work, sleep, eating, basking in the 70F sunny weather, watching Bill Nye the Science Guy on YouTube, and also eating. And sleeping. Not a lot of time leftover. But I've got a whole bunch of great stuff for you guys and more is on the way. Stay cool.


P.S. Did you know that if you click on one of the picture links below and end up buying the album (perhaps because of a stellar review that just bowled you over?), I actually get some money for it? Woah! Probably like 20 cents or something. So get clicking so I can quit my day job already. Thanks!


Punch Brothers "Punch"
Punch

Progressive country. Never heard of it? Me neither. But if there was such a thing, perhaps it would be attached to Punch Brothers. Essentially an old-fashioned string band (mandolin, fiddle, banjo, guitar, bass, and a lot of vocals), Punch Brothers are by no means an old-fashioned group. You will no doubt hear all of these instruments being played in a way you have heard before and also in a way you haven't, which is something. Perhaps it's really more like progressive jazz, on "country" instruments. Sometimes (especially in the instrumental sections) it sounds like a string tribute to the Pat Metheny Group. Then again, other times it just sounds like regular old songwriting. Lead singer Chris Thile (ex-Nickel Creek) has a clear tenor, which on record sounds not unlike the guy from Guster. For those of you who don't know, Chris Thile has become the pre-eminent mandolinist in the Western world, the Yo-Yo Ma of the mandolin, quite literally. He performs with classical bigwigs and pop music musicians alike. Recommended for acoustic, bluegrass, jazz (especially progressive), and country listeners with open ears.

Old 97's "Satellite Rides"
Satellite Rides

Old 97's is a good rock band. You won't find anything too out of the box here, and that suits them. The squarest of chord progressions only, please, but...well I was going to say that the lyrics are interesting, but many of them are either formulaic or don't make much sense. Then why do I like them? They're just a feel good rock band that sounds good and plays well together. I get a Guster/Fountains of Wayne vibe from them, and sometimes it sounds like David Bazan (Pedro the Lion) is on the microphone instead. The hit "Question" has an infectious melody and classic descending bass line on which the harmony is built for the verses. Even though this album was made in 2001, you could buy this for your friend who only listens to 90's rock (do you have one of them?) and I bet they would enjoy it.

Radiohead "The King of Limbs"
The King Of Limbs

I was planning on writing a really in depth review of this new album by a very important band, but I really can't think of the right words to say, to be honest. So I'll be frank instead. It's good! Really good! It's definitely not pop-driven, Thom Yorke winding vocal lines are found everywhere. Sparse instrumentation sets up the vibe like (In Rainbows) and the tight acoustic drums function like a drum machine with one measure beats set on repeat much of the time (also like In Rainbows). One of its downsides is its brevity (8 tracks and 37 minutes), but I guess that's just saying, "I wish I had more." I think a while ago I saw a review on iTunes (I hardly ever read record reviews...should I? I don't want to add external bias to my own thoughts) that said something to the effect of The King of Limbs:In Rainbows::Amnesiac:OK Computer. The way in which I agree with this is that it's not pop-driven and will probably alienate some people who were expecting more listenable stuff like on In Rainbows. The real point here is that Radiohead is talented, musical, thoughtful and creative band. They're original and that's what makes them interesting to me. Also the fact that there is no such thing as filler on their records, and the ideas and sounds always sound fresh to me. Is is indie rock? Art rock? Psychedelic? Electronica? Who cares. It's Radiohead. It's awesome.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross "The Social Network [soundtrack]"
The Social Network

I shouldn't have to say much about this album. It's instrumental electronica. It's by Trent Reznor. The beats are hard hitting. The synths are fat. But the soft, slow, floaty tracks are absolutely beautiful as well. Really melodic, grooving, modern electronica that's not all crazy clubbed-out either. It's much more simple and lets its few tracks just be and blend together. I shouldn't say it's entirely electronic: a well-miked grand piano sits well among the sounds (see my review of Journal for People). The rendition of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" seems kind of trite because of how well known and overplayed it is in cartoons and the like. I don't know, maybe it works well in the film. I haven't seen it yet (I never go to movies in the theatres) but I plan on seeing it on DVD soon. Nine Inch Nails fans who like the electro Trent more than the rock band Trent will love it, and I also really recommend it to just about everyone. It all has a dark vibe of course, but the music is well crafted and actually quite elegant.

Foo Fighters "Wasting Light"
Wasting Light

Foo Fighters' first album was released in 1995, and here's Wasting Light, released in 2011. Are they crazy, washed up, beating every last breath out of every hook they've got? No, no, and no. This is a surprisingly fresh and new album with a Foo Fighters' familiar sound but it's just not any of their albums all over again. Dave Grohl is proving that overdriven guitars plus rock drums is not a dead art. If anyone was going to exhaust that medium it was probably Foo Fighters, so it's exciting to see them still doing more with it. I think this is a great album. It will probably please the 90's rock fans because a lot of the tones have remained the same and some of the songwriting principles have remained the same. Yet there is a modern touch on it in some ways. If you know Foo Fighters, I think you'll keep going "woah!" when you listen to this record, not expecting them to do some of the things they do, from chord progressions to really thickly layered sections (on "Bridge Burning") to really serious screams (on "White Limo"). And if you're a fan of the slowed down Foo, they got some of that to offer too. I don't have a favorite track; they're all pretty agreeable. Whether you were around for the first album or not, pop rock fans of all ages will enjoy Wasting Light.

Iron & Wine "Kiss Each Other Clean"
Kiss Each Other Clean

So I've heard Around the Well and Our Endless Numbered Days, but this Iron & Wine release is definitely my favorite by far. I think the other records I appreciated but I wouldn't really listen to them regularly. This one I could! It has an overall calm & comfortable vibe but it's not plodding and dull either. He really injects the pop vibes through this record and I like how it came out. The songs are well crafted, the vocal lines are excellent and singable, the overdubs all make sense and the tones are creatively chosen but easy to listen to. The stand out radio single "Tree by the River" is practically a Decemberists song, but I imagine it would have come out a lot different had it been. I don't think it would be as simple and lovely just as it is. Did I mention that he's also a terrific guitarist? Everybody listen up to this one!

The National "High Violet"
High Violet

I've heard a little of The National's work before, and to be honest I wasn't much impressed. I think I just find the singer's drone too...droning. And while that's still true, I found some real merit in High Violet. They've taken a tip from the best of the post-rock community and created a real breadth of dynamics in their music. The National also seems like a very sound-conscious band. Tones are particular, mixing is precise, effects are processed just so. There are a lot of effects, and most of the time you feel like you're hearing the band in a cavern with the overdone reverb, but it's the aesthetic. I still I have weird feelings about them though. They're creative but not enough to be on the same shelf as Radiohead, and they've got some pop sounds but not enough to be on the same shelf as Modest Mouse or something. You might like them more than I do. Definitely worth a listen.

Punch Brothers "Antifogmatic"
Antifogmatic (Deluxe)

Earlier I reviewed a Punch Brothers CD and labelled it progressive country, or something like that. Eh, maybe that's true. It's a little different story on this CD; we don't have the big multi-movement work taking up all the room on the record, but we do have a good mix of music, much of which is nearly unclassifiable. Therefore it still can wear the progressive badge, but as far as whether it's jazz, country, pop, or something else...well I guess it's all of the above! The opening track "You Are" seems like a country-instrument take on, say, whatever the style of Radiohead is. The next track, "Don't Need No," starts off with strings calisthenics and crazy rhythmic passages and then it suddenly launches into a straight-ahead 4/4 beat and becomes a country song! The third track, "Alex" is more like a pop ballad, but still the unusual construction and instrumental parts make them stand apart from just any old pop group. Punch Brothers are a one-of-a-kind band. You just have to check them out yourself. Recommended for most listeners: pop, prog a la Radiohead, and string pickers.

Carmen McRae "The Best of Carmen McRae"
The Best of Carmen McRae: 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection

Geez. I mean, what can I say? This was amazing. I got this CD on a recommendation from my girlfriend, who knows her jazz/soul singers. This is definitely some of the best jazz singing I've ever heard--rich, soulful, well-attuned to putting the notes in the best of places. How is it I had never heard of Carmen McRae before? Most of the songs are good old standbys, although I had not heard of "Happy to Make Your Acquaintance" which she performs as a duet with Sammy Davis, Jr. and it's pretty hilarious. Sammy plays the hep cat and Carmen plays the square to comedic effect. My favorite track though has to be "My Funny Valentine." The extremely slow tempo allows her to really stretch every line out, showcasing nuance after nuance of her singing style. If you're a musician who appreciates musicians, you'll like this CD. If you're not and you end up liking it anyway, maybe it will make you rethink who exactly we call a singer these days. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment